Monday, April 25, 2011

Reflections...

Sorry friends that I have been MIA a lot lately. I just haven't felt like keeping you updated on my fizzling enthusiasm for my journey. I don't know what it was, but I'm sure it has a lot to do with the word "diet." Diets, to me, mean temporary, harsh, un-bending, no fun! So, yes, I did well while on the South Beach Diet...but after that initial 2 weeks was up and my weight loss slowed and then stopped and then went up by 3 lbs..ugh!...I was at a stand still. Mentally, I'm frustrated and disappointed with myself. Physically, I'm good. My elbow doesn't hurt anymore, but I can tell I need to hit the gym more. Spiritually, I'm flat. I feel partially defeated.

This past week and a half I've really been studying and researching "clean eating." I don't want to diet, but I HAVE to change the way my family and I eat. I came across a really great magazine called, go figure, Clean Eating. I read it till 12:30 this morning and it lit a fire in me! There are shopping lists, brands, tips, tricks, and even a fantastic list from Kashi that shows us a breakdown of what to avoid when reading ingredients lists. It's called the Kashi Ingredient Decoder. Go check it out! Anyways, I am determined to break my habit (or addiction) to processed foods. I went to Trader Joes today and purchased all sorts of "clean" food and I've got my weekly menu all set up for this week, starting tomorrow. Wanna see what I'll be eating? I got it from the Clean Eating magazine but made a few minor changes (mostly having to do with nuts...I'm still not ok with eating walnuts & sesame seeds...yuck!).

Tuesday:
            AM:  ¾ C Granola w/ ½ c low fat yogurt & 1 sliced banana. ½ c low fat milk
            Snack: 1 c Greek yogurt w/ 1 c frozen raspberries, blended
Lunch: Almond Butter Chicken Salad - & 1 granola bar 4 oz. chopped broiled chicken breast, 15 halved grapes, ½ c chopped celery, 1 tbls chopped almonds tossed with 2 tbl almond butter, 1 tbl water, 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar & ½ tsp. maple syrup. .
            Snack: 5 carrot sticks, 5 celery sticks, 2 oz. Swiss cheese
            Dinner:  1 serving Creamy Asparagus Soup (pg. 82) & 1 med baked sweet potato

Wednesday: 
            AM:  1 cup cooked oatmeal with ½ c milk, 1 chopped pear & 1 tsp. maple syrup
            Snack: 1 sliced kiwi & 1 oz. almonds
Lunch: Turkey Asparagus Roll-ups – 4 – 1oz slices turkey breast, each rolled up with 1 oz. Swiss cheese & 1 small cooked asparagus spear & 1 banana.
            Snack: 1 sliced apple with 2 tbl almond butter & 1 c milk.
            Dinner:  1 serving steak salad (pg. 78)

Thursday: 
AM: 1 serving Choco Raspberry Vanilla smoothie –Puree 1 cup frozen raspberries, ½ tsp. vanilla, ½ c Greek yogurt, 1 ½ c milk & 2 oz. chocolate protein powder.
            Snack: ½ c cottage cheese, ½ c frozen mixed fruit, 1 tsp. maple syrup, 1tbl almonds; 1 banana
Lunch:  Crab Waldorf Salad: 2 oz. crab mixed with ½ c Greek yogurt, ½ c chopped apple, ¼ c chopped celery & ¼ c chopped almonds. With ½ c sliced cucumber on the side.
Snack: 15 grapes & 2 Laughing Cow Light Blue Cheese wedges
Dinner:  4 oz. broiled chicken breast topped with 1 tbl Arugula Pesto (puree 2 cups arugula w/ 7 almonds, 1 clove garlic, 1 tbl EVOO & 1 tbl water), ½ oz. peeled & sliced avocado & squeeze of lemon. 1 medium baked sweet potato. 1 cup cooked, chopped broccoli.

Friday:
            AM: 1 poached egg topped with 1 oz. crab meat & 1 cup sautéed arugula, served on 1 slice of multigrain bread w/ 1 slice of lemon.
            Snack: 1 granola bar & 6 celery sticks
            Lunch: 2 cups leftover creamy asparagus soup, topped with 2 oz. shredded Swiss cheese & 1 cup cooked chickpeas. 1 slice multigrain bread.
            Snack: 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce w/ ½ c sliced cucumber, 3 halved cherry tomatoes, 10 almonds, 1 tsp. EVOO & 2 tbl apple cider vinegar.
            Dinner: Pepper Steak: 4 oz. beef tenderloin sautéed w/ 1 tsp. olive oil & 1 cup sliced red bell pepper & 1 cup sliced onion.  15 grapes

Saturday:
            AM:  ¾ c granola w/ ½ c yogurt & 1 sliced banana
            Snack: 1 serving Choco Raspberry Vanilla Smoothie (leftovers)
            Lunch: 4 oz. turkey slices; 1 laughing cow blue cheese wedge, 6 carrot sticks, 6 celery sticks, 1 oz. almonds.
            Snack: Chickpea Salad: 2 cups chopped iceberg, ½ c avocado, and ½ c chickpeas w/ black peppercorn yogurt dressing (leftovers from steak salad).
            Dinner: 4 oz. broiled tilapia w/ a squeeze of lemon, 1 med baked white potato topped w/ 2 tbl arugula pesto (leftovers), 1 cup cooked, chopped broccoli, 6 chopped asparagus spears, 1 tsp. EVOO & 1 tsp. lemon juice

Sunday:
            AM: 1 cup cooked oatmeal w/ 1 tbl almond butter & ½ c mixed frozen fruit, thawed
            Snack: ½ mashed banana, ½ c Greek yogurt, 2 tbl almonds
            Lunch: Cheesesteaks: 3 oz. beef tenderloin sautéed in 1 tsp. olive oil & ½ c sliced onion. Top with 1 oz. Swiss cheese and place between 2 slices of multigrain bread. 1 apple
            Snack: 1 granola bar & 6 carrot sticks
            Dinner: 2 cups cooked penne pasta sautéed w/ 1 tsp. olive oil, 1 c sliced mushrooms & 3 oz. ground pork tenderloin. Top w/ ¾ cup creamy asparagus soup & 1 tsp. Parmesan.


Monday:
            AM: 2 egg whites scrambled  w/ 1 tsp. olive oil, ½ cup sliced mushrooms, ¼ cup chopped onion & 4 cherry tomatoes; 2 slices of toasted multigrain bread
            Snack: 15 grapes, 1 oz. almonds
            Lunch: 1 black bean veggie burger topped w/ ½ cup avocado , 2 tbl black peppercorn dressing, & 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce.
            Snack: 2 oz. Swiss cheese, sliced kiwi & ½ banana
            Dinner: 4 oz. broiled chicken breast, cubed, mixed w/ 1 cup chopped cooked broccoli, 1 cup cooked brown rice, ½ cup cooked chickpeas, ½ tsp. dried oregano & squeeze of ½ lemon

This is a partial "cleanse" for the purpose of getting all preservatives and additives out of your body. All foods are natural or "clean" and organic. I'm really excited to start this and hoping I can focus and change my brain. I'm really looking forward to getting my new books any day this week from Michael Pollan. So, if you pray, please pray for me to have the strength, guidance, and perseverance to keep on this path to be healthy and clean!
I also purchased new facial cleanser from Burt's Bees today. I've been having some really bad skin issues lately. For years, I've been using Neutrogena facial cleanser and just recently I started using their night cream and daily moisturizer and I've noticed a huge change in my skin. And not in a good way! Breaking out really badly, dry, & red blotches. I'm sure part of that is my diet but I really noticed a difference when I changed moisturizer. So I purchased new cleanser, toner, daily & nightly moisturizer from Burt's Bees. Hoping that helps!
Off to Zumba I go!  


2 comments:

  1. Saaawwweetttt!!! Clean Eating - great! Michael Pollan, woohoo! Planning a week's worth of meal - you frickin' rock, that's gotta take a lot of work! Burts Bees, that's the buzzz tehehe The Carrot line of facial stuff is cool too. Ah, man, I think you should be a chef-for-hire. Setup menus or cook for people who want to change their eating habits... You would be great, a cookbook or two, maybe a resturant... Prayers, definitely :) Hope Zumba is awesome, sounds like you need the escape from munchkins today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aim, I got the menu from the magazine...but my goal is to start making menus like that for myself, by myself :-) Someday...restaurant...bakery....who knows. Someday! yes, definitely needed the break and Zumba was the perfect fit! I'm really excited to go shower and try out that new cleanser.

    ReplyDelete