Monday, April 18, 2011

Monday...here we go!

Yay! Monday is coming to a close, but it was a good day! Woke up to a bright & shining sun with crystal clear blue skies! It was very much needed to wake up to that dose of happiness. Took the kiddos to the park and played on the swings, tossed some gravel, and taught Ross how to jump on the bouncy bridge. We had a blast! Ross also learned how to say "Woohoo!" while swinging on Mom's lap. :-) It was really cute!

While the kids took a nap, I took some time to watch a movie on Hulu. If you've never used Hulu before, it's a free service that lets you watch TV episodes and movies. It's amazing!!! I ended up watching "Super Size Me." I will NEVER feed my children fast food again! Now, let me point out, I very rarely did take them there anyways. But never again! It is now banned from our household. The cycle will be broken. Our human population is getting sicker and sicker every day and we have got to do something about it. It blows my mind how a box of processed food can be so much cheaper than fresh fruit and veggies. I understand why it's that way, but our government needs to make that change NOW! We cannot keep eating like this! Our school systems are failing our children by feeding them crap for lunch (and sometimes breakfast). We have to do something about this. But what? What can we do? I know what I'm going to do. I will strictly limit processed food in my house from here on out. I'm a good cook, love to do it, have the time and my family's health is WORTH the effort. I'm going to ask you to see where you can help your family. Cook dinner every night for a week. Make your hubby and/or kids lunch to take to work/school. Don't buy into the packaged sugar crap! I'm on a mission to also stop using Ziploc bags! Use re-usable containers. Carrots, strawberries, leftover dinner, sandwiches, hummus, bell peppers, yogurt, homemade cookies (what a concept!), hard boiled eggs,...I could keep going. There are some options for lunches where you don't have to buy little bags of chips or cookies. We are killing ourselves people!

It really pisses me off that these massive food companies are making billions upon billions of dollars to poison us. I also, 100 %, agree that we are CHOOSING to let these companies ruin our lives. WE are the ones that buy the food, overeat, become addicted and fail to change. WE are the ones who allow this crap into our homes. WE are the ones who are killing ourselves. But I also think that the companies need to be responsible enough to show how bad this food is for us. There are a lot of stupid people out there who think they can eat whatever they want and will be fine. Unfortunately, this attitude is taking it's toll on us as a society.

I am rambling and I'm on a huge soapbox. But I'm also really angry with myself for falling prey to horrible eating habits and not caring about myself enough to choose a better option. I'm done!

Any who...stepping off my soapbox...I went to Zumba tonight and had a great class! I plan to go every night this week.

Addy and I also got Easter eggs colored this evening. She is waiting, as patiently as a 3 year old can, for them to dry so she can cover them in stickers.

Tomorrow is going to be a busy day but I just hope the sun is out when I wake up! Have a great Tuesday everyone.

3 comments:

  1. Yay!!! It IS amazing what really goes on, huh? I pack Taylor's lunch on the days we have her for school, and use foil and washable containers too. It's crazy how fast paced our country is and how much we are addicted to convenience - in every way from food to cell phones! Get up on the soapbox more cuz we wanna hear ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! You might also be interested in watching Food Inc. (on Netflix as well). Check out FRESH (the movie) online, it is coming and it looks GOOD.

    -MP

    ReplyDelete
  3. MP, I've watched portions of Food Inc on PBS and really enjoyed it. Will definitely be checking out FRESH! Thanks for the info. :-)

    ReplyDelete